Live Online Classes are Fun, Personal, & Informative.
I'm delighted to offer you a wide variety of live online classes conducted through Zoom.
Zoom does a great job re-creating much of that in-person class feeling. You can chat with other people, see what other students are doing, ask questions, show the instructor your progress, and so on. It's lots of fun and super convenient -- you don't have to pack up your art supplies, everything is right at your fingertips! AND classes are recorded.
I hope you'll join me for a live online class.
Upcoming classes are listed below. I always announce new classes in my weekly newsletter first. If you want to be in the know, sign up for the weekly mailing list and get an email from me every Friday!
January 24, 2022 - February 21, 2022. We will meet twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays 12pm-2pm EST) over Zoom.
Not for the faint of heart. This is a serious five-week art workshop that will challenge, inspire, encourage, and educate you!
If you answered, "yes" to any of those questions, then Design Boot Camp might be for you.
What is Design Boot Camp?
Design Boot Camp is a five-week-long art workshop that will challenge, inspire, encourage, and educate you! I will teach you about each of the Elements & Principles of Design. Through a series of art exercises, we will explore each element and principle and then learn how to combine them together to create compositions that sing. You will learn a lot about yourself over the five-weeks. But you have to put in the work to get the results.
It's called "Boot Camp," because I am going to kick your artistic behind (in a nice way, of course). This course is intended for those who are serious about their art and looking for the tools to push their work to the next level. There will be a lot of work during class. It's Boot Camp.
When is Design Boot Camp?
Join me January 24, 2022 - February 21, 2022 for five weeks of intensive learning. We will meet twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays 12pm - 2pm EST) over Zoom. In between classes there will be homework, as well as a dedicated Slack channel where you can leave questions and get some help during "off hours," as well as chat with other students.
ALSO: You can watch this recording of a webinar all about this course!
Class space is extremely limited to ensure that each student gets plenty of personal attention.
Payment plans are available. Contact me for more info.
There are no refunds once payment has been made.
March 28, 2022 - April 25, 2022. We will meet twice a week (Mondays and Thursdays 12pm-2pm EST) over Zoom.
YOU MUST BE A DESIGN BOOT CAMP GRADUATE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CLASS. You can take Design Boot Camp in January 2022: https://bit.ly/3DRXQdg to be ready for this class.
We will spend five weeks together focused on how to learn from other artists -- dead or alive. From color palettes to composition to value studies and beyond, you will consume the artwork of three artists of your choosing and learn how to take what you learn and apply it to your own work.
A master class with Matisse? A drawing lesson from Degas? A color tutorial from Bisa Butler? All of it is possible through a series of simple exercises and disciplined repetition. You will emerge from class with a sketchbook full of ideas (and techniques to keep generating ideas on your own) and a series of finished works of art you've created, inspired by what you've learned.
The focus here is on learning from others, but making it your own.
Get ready to exercise your art muscles!
"Thanks for an awesome class Julie! You're an excellent teacher. I came away with a much better understanding of the process and some good ideas for the future."
"Thanks for demystifying screen printing -- so much simpler than I thought, and no fancy anything required! I can't wait to start playing!"
Would you like to be able to screenprint at home? In this class, I will show you how I create custom screenprints at home with some very basic equipment. One of the many benefits of screenprinting is that it's an easy way to reproduce an image multiple times. In just four hours, I will show you how to set up your own home screenprinting studio (that tucks away into in a box or drawer).
This is a RECORDING of a previous live online class. After making this purchase, you will receive a link to download a copy of the live recording. It's FOUR HOURS of video.
Read my blog post about class HERE.
You are purchasing a REPLAY of this live online class.
This is part of a series of live online classes all about compositions that work. During this four-hour mixed media painting class we will take a deep dive into ASYMMETRICAL and SYMMETRICAL design. You might be surprised by which type of design you prefer to work with -- and what those terms actually mean. Through a series of exercises, you will create several abstract mixed media paintings incorporating collage.
I got some lovely comments after class from students on Facebook:
"You know after Bootcamp I thought Balzer Designs could not surprise me but catching up with symmetry & asymmetry class I have to say/ Julie you are really getting better and better your craft.
In a art world where people just teach you to copy what they do. Finally someone teaching people paths to do their thing."- Jana
"Julie. I just want to say a big “thank you” for the composition class yesterday. It really gave me some great theory and has caused me already to look at my work differently. You explain things well and have a wonderful style of teaching. Thanks much!!!!" -Robin
Please have available to you during class:
- "I felt like I learned the secret language of artists, and that made me more confident and free."
- "The wealth of information that Julie shared with us during the two hour sessions over the course of Bootcamp. She was so prepared and is such an excellent teacher - I knew that I was in good hands."
- "This is the toughest class I have taken in my art journey-so far. And it is the best class because it kept me out of my comfort zone the entire five weeks. The format inspired me to take chances and create some different art with the help from the group. I love the longer timeline, letting ideas "sit" and having time to explore by doing homework was helpful. Will definitely take again or the next level."
- "I feel like my journey as an artist has just begun, despite doing art for years. Julie is a master artist AND teacher, a true professional! I hope there will be a Design Boot Camp 2 next year!"
- "I loved the assignments. Based on one of the articles l read by James Clear, l am a person always in motion not in action. I read articles, blogs, watch youtube videos always saying that l'm learning something. Your assignments made me actually put what you were teaching us into action."
- "This class was worth every penny! I have LOTS of work to do, but I feel like I now have the tools to carry me forward to where I would like to be."
- "Zoom was fabulous - having all of my supplies at my fingertips was perfect. Loved the ability to review my notes and digest the lesson given before the next one was presented. Interacting with the other students was a great part of the learning experience. I have said this before and I will say it again - you are an extraordinary teacher with incredible knowledge about art that you share in a clear, professional way. Only you could accomplish what you did in the class - you get right to the point and right to the heart of the task. Over the years you have added much joy to my artistic endeavors. Thank you!"
- "The best class I’ve ever taken, in-person or on-line — thanks!"
"It was WONDERFUL! You are an excellent teacher. The class was packed with information and ideas. You know how to break down & present the course content in manageable, lively bites, and your enthusiasm is contagious. Oh, and you’ve adapted to the ZOOM format beautifully." - Sue
"OMG, this class was fantastic! As always, so many techniques and tips, and so much inspiration....If she offers this again, sign up. A great way to spend a Friday night." - Ellen
"Thank you Julie! I learned so much in class." - Maria
"Thank you for an amazing class tonight. I was feelings so intimidated by the CanvasWorkspace and you made it really easy. I love your calm and cool teaching style. You really put us all at ease and you made it fun. I’m so excited to really use my ScanNCut now. I'm excited by all the things I can do with it!" - Melinda
"Hi Julie - Just want to tell you I finished the recorded class this morning. I LOVE the way you teach. It's understandable and easy to follow. I also love that you record it. I am the slow one in any group and it's wonderful to be able to pause and replay when I didn't quite get something! I will definitely take more ScanNCut and CanvasWorkspace classes when you post them. Again, THANKS!" - Val
"Thank you so much for the workshop. You are a great teacher and cheerleader." - Sarah